Anxious Ninja is a part of the Ninja Life Hacks series by Mary Nhin. All of the Ninja books are fun for kids, but I found the Anxious Ninja to be particularly helpful in teaching my kids how to calm down when they are overwhelmed with worry and emotions.
Read or show this video reading of the book on YouTube:
Anxious Ninja Book Summary
Anxious Ninja was a good runner, but he worried too much about winning and things he couldn’t control. His anxiety made it very difficult to compete. Then Gritty Ninja shared a strategy he learned to help deal with anxiety: The 3 R’s Method. Anxious Ninja used the 3 R’s (Recognize, Relax, and Refocus) to overcome his worry about situations he couldn’t control.
Anxious Ninja Reflection Questions
- What are the R’s in the 3 R’s Method?
- How could you use the 3 R’s Method when you are worried about a test?
- How could you use the 3 R’s Method when you are late for school or a game?
- When have you felt anxious or worried recently? How could you have used the 3 R’s Method to remain calm?
- What are some mantras you could say to Refocus when you are anxious?
Anxious Ninja Worksheet
Using this Anxious Ninja Worksheet, kids will reflect on the ways they can use The 3 R’s Method when they feel anxious and worried.
Download and print a copy of the worksheet here: