I know a lot of influential people online who like to pick just one word to focus on for the year. In 2013 I picked three words for the year, but I never really thought about them much.
This year my wife suggested that our entire family pick a word to focus on during the year. She is going to frame them and display them prominently in the house.
The word I picked for 2o18 is: ask.
Here are a few reasons why I picked this word:
- I have a bad habit of doing everything myself and not asking for help.
- I don’t ask for feedback on my creative work.
- I can’t think of a better habit for a writer to have than curiosity.
- I need to become more humble: asking rather than telling is a great way to humble oneself.
Do you pick word for the year? Here are a few resources to help you pick your word:
- What’s Your One Word? (Jon Gordon, who also wrote a book on this idea)
- Choosing Your One Word (MyOneWord.org)