The Testimony of John the Baptist (John 1:6-8, 19-28)
Let the following questions to guide you through a process of Lectio Divina:
LECTIO (Reading): What does this passage say that everyone should understand?
- In what ways is Jesus like light?
- What is it about John the Baptist that might have caused someone to think he was the Christ (Messiah), Elijah, or the Prophet?
- Read Isaiah 40. What does this passage say about the mission of John the Baptist? What does it say about the mission of Jesus?
MEDITATION (Meditation): What does the text say to me, today, and to my life?
- What testimony to the light can you share about Jesus?
- What paths to the Lord need to be made straight in your life?
- Do you think of Jesus with the same kind of humility as John the Baptist?
ORATIO (Prayer): What can I say to the Lord in response to his word?
- What virtue can you ask of God to help you testify to the light?
- In what areas of your life can you ask forgiveness for lacking straight paths to the Lord?
- What other disciples testifying to the light of Christ can you pray for today?
CONTEMPLATIO (Contemplation): What conversion of the mind, heart, and life is the Lord asking of me?
- How will you become more like John the Baptist?
- How can you make straight the way of the Lord in your life?
- How can you think with humility about Jesus Christ?