Last week my daughters and I finished reading The One and Only Ivan and then watched the movie on Disney+. It was my second time reading it and the first full reading for the girls.
They loved it and so did I.
The movie was good, too, but not nearly as good as the book. (Ivan’s voice in the book and the very short chapters are unique and expertly written.)
???? The One and Only Ivan Reflection Questions ????
Here are some questions to discuss with your kids if you read the book or watch the movie. It’s a good story for building confidence in the young artists and leaders inside of your children.
- What did you like best about Ivan’s personality?
- What motivated Ivan to try to free Ruby?
- Most people didn’t appreciate Ivan’s art as much as Julia. Why do you think Ivan kept painting even when his work was misunderstood?
- What kinds of art do you like to create the most: painting, drawing, writing, acting, dancing, or something else?
- Who are the people that feel trapped in our world today? How can you help free them?