This story is featured in the collections of Bible stories for kids titled Take and Eat: Bible Stories for Kids about the Eucharist and Pray without Ceasing: Bible Stories for Kids about Prayer.
The priests in the Old Testament offered prayers of blessing to the Lord. A blessing invokes God’s presence here on Earth. The priest King Melchizedek appears briefly in the book of Genesis, but he was remembered by Jews and Christians for centuries with great honor.
As you read this story, pay attention to Abraham’s response to the blessing of Melchizedek.
Abram, who God later renamed Abraham, went into battle to rescue his nephew Lot. He won the battle, saved his nephew, and then returned home.
Melchizedek was the king and high priest of Salem, which is now the city of Jerusalem. He came to bless Abram after the battle. He brought with him bread and wine. He blessed Abram with these words:
“Blessed be Abram by God Most High, maker of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand.”
Abram was very grateful for the blessing. He was so grateful that he gave the high priest one tenth of all the riches he won during the battle.
- Abram gave the high priest 10 percent of everything he won in the battle. How can you give some of your money or time to the Church in return for the blessings laid upon you?
- Who are the people in your life who you would like to bless?
- Why do you think we bless our food before we eat it?
- How are Melchizedek’s offering and Jesus Christ’s offering similar?
- What are some of the things you can ask God to bless today?
Get Weekly Bible Stories for Kids
Take a break! Break open the Word of God with your kids.
The Bible Breaks Stories for Kids will help you set aside just a few minutes during your day to read and reflect on a God’s Word with your kids. Each short and simple story is written to help you teach children ages 6-12 the most important lessons of the Christian life from Sacred Scripture.
Sign up for the Bible Breaks Newsletter and get a new Bible story for kids every week.