Mo Willems only offers 49% of the story. He relies on the audience to create the other 51%.
This is an unnatural inclination for a writer. I have a habit of wanting to bring the full 100% and hit my readers over the head with what I want to share.
I feel like I need to make sure they have everything and understand everything.
That’s not the way to create great art.
A great work of art invites the audience to make it their own.
Your story becomes their story.
Your book becomes their book.
It is a gift.