My goal: Develop a system for social media that enables me to effectively connect with new and current readers without taking away too much of my time from writing.
The Plan: Research and consider each of these questions regarding social media for authors:
- Why use social media at all?
- How do I get people to find me on social media?
- How do I get more likes, shares, and comments on social media? (Try this social media posting cheat sheet.)
- How do I do social media without taking away too much time from writing?
- What kind of systems, processes, and tools can I use to streamline social media outreach?
The Social Media for Authors Series (#SMforA)
- SMforA 001: Social Media Metrics
- SMforA 002: Social Media as a Distraction
- SMforA 003: How Author Hugh Howey Uses Social Media (HINT: It’s about current fans, not new ones.)
- SMforA 004: Social Media Principles
Background on this Series
I’ve always been a big proponent of making an email list the #1 priority for every author. Growing my main email list (9,000 subscribers) has made an incredible impact on almost everything I do. Building a list and and what most people call “blogging” or “SEO” have been my biggest strengths in building a platform.
But . . . I’m weak on social media. I used to say it was a waste of time, but who am I to judge? I’ll be studying the experts and putting together some tools to help me along the way. Follow along if you’re an author too and want to master the most effective ways to build a platform using social media.
Join the Email List: