The Bad Seed by Jory John is a great book to teach children how to cultivate a growth mindset. Here are some resources that might help you read this book with your kids.
Get your copy of the book here.
Or watch this video reading of The Bad Seed:
The Bad Seed Book Summary
The Bad Seed is a story about a seed that does bad things. Everyone thinks he is bad and the seed agrees with them. He wasn’t always bad, but he had a hard life. He was taken from his home and almost eaten by a giant! Eventually, he made the decision to be a good seed. He wasn’t perfect, but he kept trying. He was more of a mix between a bad seed and a good seed. Some people continued thinking he was bad, but the seed didn’t listen to them. Instead, he listened to those that said he wasn’t that bad.
The Bad Seed Reflection Questions
- Why does the seed call himself a “bad seed”?
- Do you ever feel like a “bad seed”? When and why?
- Why do you think the seed made a decision to be a good seed?
- Is the seed perfect? Why does he keep trying to be good?
- What makes you do good things for others?
- Are all kids stuck as bad seeds or good seeds?
Here are a few questions from a Christian perspective:
- Does God make you a good seed or a bad seed?
- What are some stories in the Bible that show how God loves and forgives bad seeds?
- How does God help you try to be a good seed?
The Bad Seed Book Worksheet
I created a worksheet for The Bad Seed book to help kids reflect on the ways their recent good and bad deeds. The worksheet also challenges them to think about ways they have overcome past mistakes with good deeds like the seed in The Bad Seed story. The worksheet is called The Bad Seed vs. Good Dees Worksheet.