A Wish to be a Christmas Tree is a wonderful little story by Colleen Monroe about friendship and feeling left out especially around Christmastime. Read the story and use the worksheet to encourage kids to compliment and encourage each other.
A Wish to be a Christmas Tree Summary
Every year families come to pick an evergreen tree from the forest to bring home with them to decorate for Christmas. One tree grows taller each year until it is too tall for families to bring home. The tree feels sad and lonely, until a few friends come to see it. A squirrel, a cardinal, a deer, and many more animals come to tell the tree how much it means to them. They say:
“We should have told you the many ways you are special to us and brighten our days.”
Here is a video version of the story:
A Wish to be a Christmas Tree Reflection Questions
- When have you felt left out like the tree in the story?
- Who are the people in your life that compliment and encourage you?
- Who are some of the most important people in your life? What are some of the ways they brighten your days?
- Who do you know that needs some encouragement like the tree in the story?
- Why is Christmas a good time of year to compliment and encourage each other?
A Wish to be a Christmas Tree Worksheet
This worksheet will help kids reflect on the ways they can compliment and encourage the most important people in their lives.